Sunday, May 2, 2010

summer



A life is time, they teach us growing up
The seconds ticking killed us all
A million years before the fall

To me, this song is summer.

I am 14, sitting shotgun in the car my sister has just learned to drive. We are going to the beach. Her friends are in the back. I can't yet drive, clearly, but I'm excited enough to have a sister who can.

The music is turned up, the windows are rolled down, and one of my legs is half-way out the car window, my foot dangling over the side mirror. I expect her to yell at me, but she doesn't. We are singing with every ounce of ourselves, as if we understand all of the singer's angst and suffering, his philosophical ponderings, and what the lyrics actually mean.

You swim like lions through the crest
And bathe yourself on zebra flesh

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Brooklyn, New York, United States
Things you should know. I like to write, box, nap, read and be read to--mostly fiction, the kind of books that play like movies in your head, whether awake or asleep. I need at least a couple spoonfuls of organic crunchy peanut butter each day to function. Every, every day. And to answer your question(s): half-full, dogs, mornings, summers, and more than one. I write for findingDulcinea. (Header photo: pixonomy Flickr photostream/CC)

Sweet Search