Tuesday, June 1, 2010

distraction

I picked up a book today, maybe the fifth book I've gotten from the library in two weeks. Ahh yes the library, or as my friend Angela calls it "that magical place where they give you free books."
I was already reading one book, "Brooklyn" lent to me by my book club queen. (She prefers queen to president.) But now suddenly I have five more.

Anyway, this fifth books is called "Distraction: The Erosion of Attention and the Coming Dark Age," and it's written by Maggie Jackson. If you knew me, you'd understand the irony. Not only am I flipping between five books, I'm also pinballing between between three email accounts, two Twitter accounts, one Facebook account, two word docs, and often a phone that lets you text message even while you are speaking with someone else. "How do you know [whether] you have ADD or a severe case of modern life?" writes Jackson quoting Dr. Edward Hallowell. Wouldn't you like to know?

Jackson explores attention and its impact on our everyday communication tasks, our ability to create knowledge, to think deeply, and even to deepen our relationships with others. Jackson is speaking tomorrow night at the New York Public Library.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Brooklyn, New York, United States
Things you should know. I like to write, box, nap, read and be read to--mostly fiction, the kind of books that play like movies in your head, whether awake or asleep. I need at least a couple spoonfuls of organic crunchy peanut butter each day to function. Every, every day. And to answer your question(s): half-full, dogs, mornings, summers, and more than one. I write for findingDulcinea. (Header photo: pixonomy Flickr photostream/CC)

Sweet Search